How to choose the right absorbents for your needs
First, discover the predominant type of liquids present on your site as this will determine which absorbent type will be required. Absorbent types are typically divided into 3 main categories:
- General purpose - safely absorb non-hazardous liquids, such as water, milk, coolants, solvents and mild chemicals
- Chemical - designed for use on acids, alkalis and other strong chemicals
- Oil & fuel - used to absorb fuels, oils, solvents and other hydrocarbons
Then, after taking into account the conditions at your site, there might be a number of suitable absorbent form factors to consider, for example:
- Absorbent pads - pre-cut for ease of use, they are perfect for reliably absorbing smaller spills & drips
- Absorbent rolls - typically available in various widths and lengths, most rolls are also perforated for easy tearing so they can be quickly placed on workbenches or under machinery
- Absorbents cushions - cushions are best used to absorb puddles, catch drips or cover drains
- Absorbents socks - mostly used under leaking machinery, or to surround floor spillages and prevent further contamination
- Loose absorbents - often in the form of natural fibers or granules, loose absorbents provide a robust and eco-friendly spill containment solution
Industrial-grade absorbents & spill containment products
Every site dealing with large amounts of liquids on a daily basis is exposed to the risk of leaks and spills. If not dealt with immediately, these can pose an immediate risk to both staff safety and the local environment, especially if chemicals or fuels are involved.
Placing a well-stocked and easy to access absorbent station on site can provide an excellent solution to your spill containment challenges and prevent more serious issues such as soil or ground water contamination. It can also allow your staff to take a more pro-active approach to spill control.
If you'd like more information regarding absorbents available on our website, or require a completely bespoke spill control solution, do not hesitate to get in touch with the Safetrade 247 team. We are always happy to provide free expert advice and no-obligation quotes.